Mix it up! See how many verbs your students can come up with that complete the sentences appropriately. You’ll probably be surprised with their creativity! Besides working on verb variety, this game also challenges students to complete the sentence with correct subject/verb agreement and verb tense.
This game is able to be used with students of many different ages and groups of any size! You can also use it with individual students by setting a goal of how many different verbs they can use for each sentence (e.g., 3 or 5 verbs per sentence). There are 30 sentence cards available in color and black and white versions.
How to play with a group:
- Divide the students into teams. (Two teams works well, but you can have more teams if your group is very large.)
- A student from one team reaches into a bag or bowl (or maybe a stocking!) and pulls out a game card. That team completes the sentence on the card with as many different verbs as possible, earning a point for each one.
- The other team then gets to come up with verbs not previously given for bonus points.
- The second team then picks their own card and gives as many answers as possible before allowing the first team to add extras for their own bonus points.
- Continue playing in this manner.